Monday, February 22, 2010

Out with the Old and in with the Eggs

One day, last summer, as I was jogging around my parents' neighborhood, I noticed a number of garage sales. One of them marketed itself as a "wedding fundraiser." I thought, "what a great idea." I mentioned it to my parents and we decided to throw one this spring.

This is significant because if any of you know either Arthur or me you also know that we are extreme procrastinators. My parents agreed to come into the city yesterday to take some our for sale items and put them into the Hyundai. This helped force us to do a significant amount of inventory, clearing out and throwing out. In fact, a number of Arthur's toys and haven't worn in over two years accessories were removed. Never fear though, we are still holding onto not only one, but two hanging monkeys with the velcro hands. Or is it paws? Anyway, we were able to pack up some of our books, a few kitchen supplies, an air conditioner, a microwave and my 19 inch tv/vcr combo set that I have had since college and send them back to Holbrook.

Before we could muster up the strength to rummage through our material goods, we needed to have a protein packed breakfast. We didn't have much in the apartment, but I managed to create what I calling my tortilla frittata from random things in our refrigerator.


Recipe as I can remember it: 

Ingredients: 
1small onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 teaspoons of olive oil
5 eggs
A splash of water
A pinch of cumin
A pinch of chili powder
A pinch of kosher salt
A pinch of black pepper
Half a cup of grated parmesean cheese (could've been more, I inadvertantly dumped a massive amount in), and two tablespoons reserved.
A pinch of cumin
A pinch of chili powder
5 small corn tortillas
1 tablespoon of butter
2 slices of light swiss cheese (would probably be really good with cheddar cheese)
Approximately 8 oz. of frozen broccoli (I say this because I used what was left in a 17 oz. bag), thawed

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
 
Sautee onion on medium high heat until they soft slightly.  Cover sautee pan and cook for about 10 minutes to caramelize.  Add garlic, a bit of salt and a bit of pepper.  Continue to cook for one minute.  Remove from heat.  Grease a pyrex pie pan with butter.  Discard any left over butter.  Overlap tortillas to line bottom of pie pan.  Place swiss cheese on top of tortillas.  Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together eggs, water,  1/2 cup of cheese (I recommend using a spoon, as I learned my lesson the hard way), cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.  Add broccoli to onion and garlic medley.  Pour onion, garlic and broccoli on top of swiss cheese, making an even layer.   Pour egg mixture on top.  Place in oven for about twenty minutes or until eggs are almost set.  Put oven on broil.  Remove pie pan, sprinkle remaining cheese on top of  the eggs and place under broil until eggs are set and cheese is golden brown.   Serve immediately.
 
Makes 4 servings. 

I recommend this dish to fortifiy onself when preparing to carry heavy things down five flights of stairs, followed by walking up the stairs and repeating said process multiple times.

I wonder what we'll use as fuel next weekend when we actually move.   Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...butter, cheese, tortillas, eggs-what is not to love? I can't wait to make this for myself-I shall eat it whilst reading Balzac and Flaubert (my current heavy lifting).

    Thank you for my wonderful flowers, and for your kind comments. It has been a very hard time, but I am muddling through as best as I can. I am so lucky (as is the rest of my family) to have such a wonderful group of friends.

    I love you,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete