Monday, February 15, 2010

We're Moving to Brooklyn

After more than 12 years living in Manhattan (minus my year in London) and more than 10 years living in East Harlem, I will be moving to the PLG in less than two weeks. That's Prospect Lefferts Gardens in Brooklyn for those of you not in the know.*



It is a very exciting venture. The apartment is absolutely beautiful. There are 1700 square feet. It has everything you could possibly want - from a dishwasher to a washer/dryer to OUTGOING mail. The neighborhood feels fine and from what I've heard and read it was up and coming and is now more sort of at a stand still. Hence, why we were able to get this apartment for the price we did.

We are moving in with my brother-in-law and his lovely girlfriend. When I tell people that they tend to get all weird and wide eyed about it. It makes sense for us, though. Did I mention the two balconies?


We will pay less money then we are paying now in East Harlem for an apartment one quarter the size. At this time, we're in no position to buy anything or to rent out a beautiful apartment like this by ourselves. Compromises have to be made and at age 34 and 35 respectively, we deserve an adult apartment.

Am I a little nervous about it? Sure. I'm nervous to live with other people. I've only had one roommate and a boyfriend/fiance/husband since college. We are all reasonably relaxed people (I'm probably the most difficult of the four). There will be the ocassional tiff or two, but we'll work them out. I am also a bit nervous about my new commute. It is straight on the 2 train to Harlem, but I have to admit that knowing it will be over an hour on a good day scares me a bit. After I get used to it, it will be ok. Won't it? And besides, I think it is going to be more than worth it as I feel our quality of life will be greatly improved. Did I mention that there is a fully furnished roof deck?

Yesterday, we bought bedroom furniture - complete with a headboard and a footboard. Arthur has never had a bedroom set and it has been a long time since I had an actual bed (not just a mattress, a box spring and a frame). It makes me happy to think that we are doing something together that moves us in the direction of building a home. Did I mention the two sinks in the kitchen and a refrigerator that makes ice?


*I was not in the know until about six weeks ago. Also, I am pretty sure it is really Crown Heights.*

No comments:

Post a Comment