Monday, March 29, 2010

Marriage Tax?

I filed my taxes today.  I meticulously entered all the numbers that showed my income and was excited to enter the deduction from my student loan taxes.  However, it turns out that when you are married and file your taxes separately you are no longer eligible to claim student loan interest.  Huh?  How does marriage have any bearing on student loans?  I am certainly still paying them every month and I certainly accrued quite a bit of capitalized interest.  Does my marriage somehow mean that I should have no money troubles in the eyes of the Federal government?

At first, I was angry.  It just doesn't make sense.  Now, I am not even sure what to say about it.  I am so used to institutions rewarding heterosexual marriage that I am sort if in a state of shock.

No comments:

Post a Comment