Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A Modern Coming Out

Have you tried this facebook thing? I know I'm like a million years behind the times (I even by-passed the whole MySpace era), but it is my most recent obsession. It's pretty cool and I've been able to get in touch with people I haven't seen in over 15 years. I even got Arthur to join.

Speaking of Arthur, it has been a few weeks since we became unofficially engaged. And whilst we've told are nearest and dearest and even a few on the periphery, we are ultimately waiting to let everyone know after we have some sort of symbolic moment (other than clicking the computer mouse at the same time in order to place the on-line order of our engagement rings. Seriously, we did that).

At least that was the plan....

Facebook has this nifty little option where you can comment on your relationship with any particular person with whom you are friends. In his eagerness to set up a complete profile, Arthur changed our status from "in a relationship with" to "engaged to", essentially informing the facebook community that we are, in fact, engaged. Almost instanteously, I received many heartfelt and SURPRISED wishes of congratulations. I have yet to respond to those people because A) facebook is not functioning properly for me and B) I'm not quite sure what to say! (THANKS, everyone! Thanks, facebook!)

Besides the fact that this isn't quite how I pictured telling my friends or even my "friends" that we are getting married, posting our betrothal on the biggest social networking site around isn't exactly keeping things "unofficial." Alongside this silliness of it, I feel guilty about not telling the people in my life that are not on facebook. You know, the ones that actually might get invited to the nuptials?

Though, I suppose if one were to think about it, it does fall under the category of "non-traditional." It is also quite a modern (or is it post-modern? I forget) way of getting engaged.

Where are those freaking rings?

1 comment:

  1. You two get engaged and the economy collapses! See what happens when you don't play by the rules? Big hugs from Oregon.

    ReplyDelete