Monday, February 9, 2009

A Sigh of Relief and a Renewed Sense of Weddingness



Arthur and I took a little jaunt out to LI this weekend to meet with the new catering and sales manager at the Three Village Inn. We went at the request of John for a sort of let's get to know each other meeting. We sat down in the waiting room, by fireside and one of the staff brought me warm apple cider (I LOVE apple cider). As we waited, I picked up one of the wedding albums lying around. Arthur immediately warned me, "Don't do that. We already made our decision on the photographer. We don't want to look at anything and have regrets." I looked anyway. It turned out his fears were completely unfounded because the cheesiness of the photographs and the ill used Lord Byron poem, "She Walks in Beauty" left me with no sense of regret, but only a smug look on my face.

Soon John came in and introduced himself. When we indicated that we would love to hear about his background, he gave us the run down. He has worked his way up through various catering facilities in Long Island and seems excited about his new position. It seems that The Three Village Inn wants to take weddings to the "next level." I don't know what that means, but it makes me wonder whether or not Chrissy's departure was of her own volition. In any event, it was a fun meeting, he asked a lot of questions that we don't as of yet have any answers to. Are we doing a first dance? Arthur wants to and I don't. Are we having pictures of ourselves around the cocktail hour space? Ummm...won't everyone know whose wedding they are coming to? Are we using our own cake knife and server? Only if someone buys us a set. Seriously, can't we just use theirs? And so on. It is all the little details that we need to think about so I'm glad we got the ball rolling.

We ALSO got to look at pictures of cakes! Yeah. I love cake. Arthur loves cake. Their photo album of cakes were, unfortunately, a little outdated and looked somewhat garish. Picture this sort of thing, if you will. No. Thank you. For some reason, though, we still wanted to eat cake.

Arthur and I liked one that looked like this: However, we agree that we want a square one. Their outdated cake album held no images of square cakes, but Karen, the hotel manager, assured us that it can be done. We would like to do an angled thing, maybe something like this without all the frills:

We took another walk through of the establishment and talked about logistics, table placement, food placement, and most importantly the bar's placement. There needs to be clear access to the alcohol! After all of this, Karen walked us around the property a bit and we got a look at the accommodations. Some rooms have fireplaces, while others have a view of the bay. They are incredibly quaint and pretty. Yet one room had a leftover, unopened box of godiva chocolate. I don't care how good the sex is. You eat the chocolate! Finally, we got to see the honeymoon suite...wooooooooo. I have to say it was slightly unnerving to see the bottles of opened champagne and unmade beds in the rooms (we were there pretty early). Insert Marcy Playground song here. Icky.

Our visit was so much better than I expected. It completely reaffirmed why we chose this particular venue. Granted, Sunday was a balmy 50 or so degrees, but even in the dead of winter the Inn and the surrounding area are lovely. I left feeling happy and satisfied that we had made the right choice. My wedding juices have been re-energized.

3 comments:

  1. It is too bad that I can't transport my sister up to LI to make you a cake-she makes the MOST divine wedding cakes, and her preferred design is exactly what you mention. I'm not kidding, I don't even like cake that much, and I could devour an entire wedding cake if she made it.

    I can't wait until your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I need to worry about my reservations at the inn at the place yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlyn, really??? Is she now a professional baker?


    Gisela, I don't think you need to worry just yet. Stay tuned for the Save the Date (we plan to send them out in March).

    ReplyDelete